Home Page

Friday, September 22, 2006

We Are A Part Of History

...well at least that's what the announcer said at the very first basketball game Singapore has ever had. They now have their own team called the Singapore Slingers. Looking for something fun for Avery and I to do I bought us tickets. Not just any tickets but court-side seats. No way could we have ever afforded (or least spent the amount for) those seats at a Houston Rockets game. They were about $30 each. The game was played at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. It's a nice place but they aren't set up with the food vendors like the Toyota Center or Reliant Stadium. They had two areas open that were run by 7-11 with hotdogs and chicken sandwiches. No beer or wine can be brought into the arena which takes a little bit of the fun out of it. The game was good. I was worried that the team would be a group of short Chinese guys but I was wrong. It was mostly Australian guys. They will be playing all season against other Australian teams. Their mascot is of course the Merlion. They even had a cheer squad. I think they were called the Slingers Girls. They actually did cheers however even sitting as close as we were we couldn't hear them. They need to put them over the PA system. Avery actually had to catch the ball at one point to keep from getting hit. I think we will try to go again. The Slingers won which was even better. I'll add some pictures when I get home.

No comments: