Home Page

Friday, September 22, 2006

School Moms

Most of the functions dealing with getting parents of the kids together for coffees and such are scheduled during the morning or at a time when I am at work. You see it is very uncommon for the expat wives to work here. I feel like I am the only one. There may be some that teach at the school, but who knows. However last night there was an evening get together so I took advantage of the opportunity and went. Now I am not the PTA mom, let's meet for coffee and let our kids play mom or the teacher's helper-homeroom mom. Nothing against all that but I work and I love my job. So I wasn't sure if I would have anything in common with these ladies who don't work and whose kids are in school all day but they still feel the need for a live-in domestic helper. I was presently surprised. One of the ladies husband works for the same company I do. Another was from Houston and her husband works for Exxon-Mobile. There were ladies there from California and Japan too. Some had been in Singapore for 2 years and some 2 weeks. It was a nice evening and I really hated that I had to leave early. Hopefully there will be other events that I can go to and get to know some of them better. I'm sure having a network of other ladies to ask questions of and possibly answer some as well would be nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you are setting a precedent for working wives in Singapore...
GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!