Home Page

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Well...It was bound to happen...

Sooner or later I knew it was going to happen. Those pesky Singaporean drivers just cannot stay in their lane. It's not just one or two people here and there as I'm driving to work or somewhere...it's almost like an epidemic. You wouldn't believe it was this bad unless you saw it for yourself. I remember my dad telling me once that he waits until they move over just enough and he zooms by freaking them out. It's like they can't decide which lane they want to be in. The closest thing back home would be the constant lane changer-type people. At least they can commit to a single lane, even if it is just for a second. Well...it was this non-committal to one lane that caused my accident here Saturday morning. It was about 8:30AM and I was taking Avery to her school for dance practice. We were on a four lane divided road headed towards the PIE (their version of an expressway). We were driving in the left lane which is the slow lane here and there was another car slightly ahead of us in the right lane. I notice that she having difficulties staying in her lane, but not too bad. As I approach her she is again inching into my lane so I beep my horn at her. She keeps on coming and before you know it she's hit the front right quarter panel of my car. I can remember watching her car bump into mine and rather than go back to the right she's still headed left and the next thing I know she's spun around to where she is now perpendicular to me. I thought she was going to tip over. I am now veering to the right and she spins on around and is facing the opposite direction. I stop and get out and go back to where she is parked. She was a little stunned. I make sure they are all ok. She's asking what happened!!! "I don't understand what I did?" I said, "You weren't staying in your lane and you came into my lane and hit me." There was another lady and a young girl in the car with her. Maybe they were chatting away and didn't realize they weren't the only people on the road at the time. Who knows! I inspected her car and thought that she had gotten away with only slight scratches on each corner of her front bumper. I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure the whole side of her car would have been messed up. I did keep looking and saw that her left rear quarter panel, where the initial contact was made, was damaged some. I guess because we weren't really traveling that fast the damage was minimal. Both cars were able to be driven. I guess she realized that she was in the wrong. She didn't want my name or anything. I had Avery write down the license plate number of her car. I wasn't really sure what to do at that point. An emergency vehicle, like a big wrecker, came and blocked traffic so she could turn around and I backed up closer to her. Since everyone was ok, and the cars were drivable we each went on about our business. The rental car people brought me a loaner and I should have my car back in a week or so.

Now I feel "gun-shy". I want to beep my horn every time some one now drives over the line. However, i figure that just happens way to often. I would wear out the horn on my car. Well...hope that was the one and only wreck for me while I'm here. I was trying to remember the last one I had...I must be getting old...I remember back in 1990 when I got my Miata someone hit me. Other than that I did back into someone who was stupid enough to park directly on the opposite side of the street from our driveway...I've done that twice (two different locations). But I can't remember the last moving accident other than the one in my Miata.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're okay!

The Smith's in SA said...

Me too! Aren't you glad you had all that combat training on the Katy Freeway!