Home Page

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Rodeo Houston

Well, up till now I have kept from boring you with my complaining about missing another year of rodeo in Houston. Unless you've been apart of it and love volunteering as much as I do then you just wouldn't understand. This is my second year I'm missing by being there. To me volunteering at the rodeo is so much fun that you sometimes forget that you are actually there to help support the rodeo in it's efforts to raise scholarship money for Texas students. I guess rodeo will be over this weekend so why am I just now bringing it up? It's because there was an article in the latest issue of our local free paper Today all about the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. It was a huge two page article. I couldn't believe it! The article mentions the actual rodeo events, the calf scramble, the entertainment and the carnival. There was also one sentence about the money raised and the scholarships. This lead me to actually write a letter to the author of the article. There was no mention of the over 20,000 volunteers that donate their time and skills to the rodeo. Everything is supposed to be for the kids. That's why we (volunteers) spend all the hours and not to mention money at the rodeo that we do. The rodeo brings in some $75 million each year her article read, and some 17 percent of it goes to scholarships. That doesn't sound like much when it's listed at 17 percent, but that is actually millions given in scholarships to Texas students every year. Did I mention that I miss Rodeo?

5 comments:

TBM said...

Wow! I am amazed you had Rodeo coverage all the way in Singapore. BTW, I was on the H-Mag committee a thousand years ago. It was a lot of fun! I still have my badges and jacket somewhere...

TexasGal said...

just a plane ride away - Cool! I've been on the Carnival Ticket committee and then switched to the Corral Club. I worked in the Hideout until the year they didn't have it (before it moved to the dome) then I moved into the Main Club.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

We have rodeos in Oregon, too, but nothing like that. Whooie.

Laurie said...

I love the calf scramble!!!

George said...

Sounds like you may've given that writer eight seconds of Texas rodeo than he could ride. Hope you made him aware of how much 5 a.m. mucking around those scholarships require. Personally, I'm torn between bull riding, barrel racing and the clowns.