Home Page

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

18 Years!

Well hubby and I just celebrated our 18 year wedding anniversary on St. Patrick's day. And the answer to your question is, No, we didn't have a green wedding or green beer at the reception. But is it kinda fun having your wedding anniversary on St. Patrick's Day. It's kinda like everyone holds a celebration for you. On Sunday, the day before our anniversary, we went and rode the Singapore Flyer. They have made a whole 'destination' out of the area. It is still growing but they have several restaurants and shops. They even have a Build-A-Bear, which we had to stop at. Of course having daughter no. 2 with us made it "okay" that we were at Build-A-Bear. Hubby even made me a cute bear for our anniversary. Here he is naming it. I wish I could have gotten a picture of him giving it a bath. The store workers were so into it. They didn't let him skip a single step. See, even grown-ups can have fun at Build-a-Bear! Another exciting thing there is Popeye's Fried Chicken!! Okay, this is sad I know! A person should not get excited about fast food fried chicken. I was so surprised to see a Popeye's that I had to go in and check out the menu. They have KFC here but if you go in and ask them for white meat, or chicken breast strips they look at you like you are from another planet. )I just want to smack them!) All KFC has is legs, thighs and wings. What do they do with the rest of the chicken is a mystery. And it wasn't even the fact that they have chicken breat strips at Popeyes that I was so happy about - it was the biscuits!!!! NO WHERE on this island can you get biscuits. And I know, I'm from the south, I should be able to make biscuits but mine never turn out. They are usually 5 lbs each, dry and hard. So if you have a good, no-fail, biscuit recipe - please send it! Anyway... they guy that I was talking to behind the counter must have thought that I was one crazy Ang Mo to be so happy to have found biscuits. You can't even buy the refrigerated Pillsbury kind in the stores here. I'm telling you - Singaporeans don't know what biscuits are. Maybe that's why they are so skinny...hmmmm...

Monday evening we had a wonderful anniversary dinner over on Sentosa at a place called il Lido. We had a great view overlooking the water. We didn't make it in time to see the sunset, but the food and service was some of the best we've had here in Singapore. The food is Italian. We had a nice bottle of wine and a 4 course dinner. Our waiter even had a sense of humor which is unusual here. Seems like anytime we try to joke with the waiters they just look at you. I guess it's part language difference and part cultural difference. And it doesn't happen to just us. Other people that we know say the same thing.

6 comments:

TBM said...

Happy Anniversary!! I hope your hubby made a good wish when he made your bear ;-)

And, yeah, I hardly ever had to make my own biscuits back in Texas. They were good just about everywhere (with butter and honey, of course). Alarmingly, if you ask for "biscuits" here in England, you'll get a cookie... they're good, but definitely NOT the same.

Laurie said...

Mmmmmmmmm...biscuits! OH, and Happy Anniversary!!!

TexasGal said...

just a plane ride away - I know, here in Singapore a biscuit is like what we would call a cracker. LOL!

laurie - I think I need to go there this weekend and pick up some dinner, whatcha think?

Thanks to both for the Happy Anniversary wishes.

Anonymous said...

"I'm telling you - Singaporeans don't know what biscuits are. Maybe that's why they are so skinny...hmmmm..."

I am not sure if I should be offended by the above. Biscuits here mean *cookies* to you, Americans. Have you ever been to the supermarkets frequented by us *locals*? Bet not, you'd prefer shopping at places where ang mohs go.

Sorry, you are Texans first so I cannot possibly call you Americans.

Why we are skinny? Because we are built that way. Surely having stayed here for a period of time, you would have known what we eat is totally different from you ang mohs. I mean, you don't always eat rice do ya?

Really, if those Singaporeans you encountered were clueless as to what you meant by BISCUITS, it is a bit too presumptive on your part to TAR each and every Singaporean with the SAME BROAD BRUSH.

What would you say if I were to say: You know all TEXANS are a bit dumb, I mean look at George Bush. He's Texan.

Oh yes, I'd somehow expect some Americans to come in and give me a verbal bashing. Because you Yanks don't like us Little People telling you lot off ;)

Rita T

Anonymous said...

"I know, here in Singapore a biscuit is like what we would call a cracker. LOL!"

By the way, what the hey was that LOL all about? Thank goodness we were under the Brits. Not Yanks.

Oh, anyway, maybe I should remind you that being a *Foreigner* and a *Guest* here, that doesn't give you the moral right/authority to diss us.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and your hubby a belated Happy 18th Anniversary.
I live in Vancouver, British Columbia for the past 2 decades (an ex-Singaporean) and hey, I don't know what is a "biscuit" (not biscotti by any chance) :0
I'll definitely find out more about this prized good stuff :)
Kim