Home Page

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Things We Take For Granted

Enjoyable as it is here, being a new experience and all, there are some conveniences that we (Americans) take for granted:
  1. Hot dog and Hamburger buns come pre-sliced. You should have seen us try to pry the two halves apart. They were mutilated before we figured out they weren't sliced.
  2. Refrigerated eggs. Since we hear so much about bacteria and salmonella, I am VERY leary about buying eggs in the grocery store that have not been stored in the refrigerated section.
  3. 100's of channels and Pay-Per-View. Over here there are about 5 different Discovery Channels and National Geographics Channels. I think "Lost" comes on here on Thursday nights. I've seen it once. I don't think they get "Desperate Housewives" here.
  4. That if some idiot on a motorcycle is cutting through traffic right down the center stripe, some Texan in a big pick-up truck will probably somehow ensure that he stops. Here it is a common occurance. There are people on mopeds, scooters and motorcycles zipping through traffic along the center stripe as if it is their own personal lane, made just for them.
  5. And we probably take having our own car for granted. Since I have been here I have been using taxi's to get around. It really isn't too bad. When there is traffic I just sit back and relax and the driver has to deal with it. The downside is, just like I found out last night, when it's raining they are scarce! I tried calling one to come pick Avery and I to meet my mom and dad for dinner. Two cab companies I tried calling all I got was a busy signal. The 3rd one I got to ring, but after being on hold forever was told they were too busy and to call back later. So, needless to say we stayed in.

No comments: