Home Page

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Things That Are Different Here

Here are a few things that are different here:


  • Bathrooms don't have any electrical outlets. Of all the apartments we looked at, the one we moved into was the only one with an outlet in the bathroom. Only the Master bath has an outlet that you can plug a hair dryer, etc. into. Strange. Where do Singaporean's dry their hair?
  • The kitchen's are not airconditioned. I was told that this is becuase usually the little Phillapino maid is in there cooking and she apparently doesn't need AC. Well, I do so I leave the door open from the kitchen to the rest of the apartment.
  • There are gaps under the doors to the outside. No weather stripping. This explains the gecko's that invite themselves in at night. I found one in the coffee pot one morning. Maybe he hadn't had his caffine for the day yet.
  • They have strange ice cream flavors here. No Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla. Nope, instead they have Sweet Corn Flavored. I wonder what that would taste like with chocolate syrup on top?
  • Shopping is the number one past-time. Can't explain it, you have to see it for yourself.
  • The public toilets have two options: 1) normal - sit and do your business or 2) squat over a hole in the floor to do your business. I'm sure you have all seen that email that floats around about women having to use the public toilets and having to "hover", so they are about the same either way.

On another note: Kim and Sherrie are going to see Dwight Yoakam at Verizon Wireless in Houston. I'm jealous! Y'all have fun and take lots of pictures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually had Corn flavored Ice Cream in China and really liked it, even without chocolate syrup!

And I HAD to learn to use the hole in the floor because that' all there was in some places. I caused some laughs in one bathroom showing a friend how she should roll up her pants legs before going........Sissy

Anonymous said...

Singaporeans are just as strange as Texans...... Asians are just as strange as Americans. My first stop, as a Singaporean, to America is Texas.