Home Page

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lovely Name

Don'tcha just love the names here? There are funny street names like Young Ho and even funnier business names:
Ok, get your mind outta the gutter. I know what you are thinking. Now really, can't you tell by the name it's a jewelry store? That is one of the hardest things over here, to locate local businesses by the name. Just about everything is something or another "Trading Pte. Ltd". I have the hardest time locating local shops because I don't speak Chinese. Most things I find either by word of mouth or by just stumbling upon the store while walking by. For example, in one area of Singapore called Jurong Town Hall there is an HDB area (Housing Development Board - government subsidized housing where most locals live) with shops. There is a store in there that sells all kinds of baking supplies and ingredients. But heck if I know what the name is. So to tell others where it's at is not easy. But if it was named something like Jurong Town Hall Baker's Supply then it would be a lot easier to find...at least in my opinion.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

"He was Hung like a necklace."

I like it.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Better you should shop the internet. I don't think Singapore is going English very soon.

TexasGal said...

laurie - HaHaHa!!!

oldhorsetailsnake - I know... I don't know what I would do if I couldn't shop online!