Home Page

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

We Will Rock You - Singapore Style

Hubbie and I went with my PM and his wife to see We Will Rock You on Sunday night. I think it's safe to say that PM's wife and I were looking forward to the show and hubbie and PM going under duress weren't quite so sure. It is a musical by the way. A THREE HOUR musical. The story is set in the future when there is no REAL LIVE music, just fake music pushed to people over the internet. Earth has been renamed "planet mall". Musical instruments are forbidden. Mainstream commercial conformity reigns. The story was told in the most humorous fashion. There were all kinds of innuendos and ad libs. The cast even injected some funny stuff about Singapore. At one point, one of the characters, Killer Queen, makes a comment about one of the other characters suits being from Armani. Then he comments that it isn't Aramni, he bought it at Bugis Village which is a VERY local shopping nightmare center. It is dark, cramped and crowded. Like a Flea Market or Bazaar but permanent. There was even a comment added about how the star Galileo (Rock Star INXS finalist MiG Ayesa) "didn't even get picked to be in INXS". At another point in the show all the "Bohemians" shout out the names they have given themselves from old newspaper and magazine clippings. That part was particularly funny...if you can, imagine a muscle bound guy in a kilt named "Victoria Beckham" and a chubby guy in a red fishnet tank top with a gold bustier over it, ratty jeans with what looked to be a puffy red heart strapped over his privates named "Madonna". The list was hilarious! I started to write a whole outline of the show but figured - hey, it's already been done. Just go read it here. If you ever have the chance to go see it I recommend that you do. The music is AWESOME and is played by a live band which you never see until the end of the performance. At least that's how it is here at the Singapore showing. The Wikipedia posting about the performance doesn't mention anything about the band that I saw and this is a shame as in my opinion they are the true stars of the show.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

MiG!!!!!!!!!! I loved Rock Star...both of them. I sure wish they'd do that again.

The show sounds great!

justmylife said...

Sounds like a good show..I can see that you enjoyed, but did the men give it a chance?

TBM said...

My daugter and I want to see this! It's showing on the West End in London.

TexasGal said...

Laurie - I did too! It was actually one show that was not a season behind when we got here.

justmylife - Yes! They really enjoyed it too. Not the dancing so much, but the dialog and music they really liked. I think they'd go again if the tickets weren't so $$$.

justaplanerideaway - I wish I could take daughter no2. Who knows, maybe I will. (I'd like to take daughter no. 1 as well but it would be kinda hard seeing as she is in Texas)

2-ton said...

Hey TG, Californian here living in Ohio...well it does feel like a different country! Every blog I've read about We Will Rock You sings praises for the show and for MiG especially. I hope you were able to meet him, he does hang around to sign his CDs and do pics and chats. Maybe if you get to go again...pls blog if so!