Home Page

Friday, April 04, 2008

Essence of Chicken - hmmm?

Since the Bird's Nest was such a shocker - at least to me - I thought I would dig around a little to find out the scoop on another item here that the locals pay a lot of money for: Essence of Chicken. I know you are all on the edge of your seat...
One web site claims: When taken regularly, this all natural health food supplement sustains your health, through all stages of your life. By increasing your metabolic rate, it helps to relieve fatigue and to restore both your mental alertness and physical energy (within 15 to 30 mins!), allowing you to perform at your best, and to meet life daily challenges. It is also proven to help your body absorb and use vital nutrients like iron. When you consume a bottle of BRAND'S Essence of Chicken, you can be sure of all the benefits you've come to expect of BRAND'S Essence of Chicken, and more! Simply put, BRAND'S Essence of Chicken is your trusted friend, For Mind. For Body. For Life. Ingredients: Concentrated Chicken Stock, Caramel. Price: $15.99 for (6) 2.3 oz. bottles. Why can't you just go by a can of chicken broth? Is there any difference? Any how in the heck does chicken stock help your body perform all those amazing things?

A little more research on the interenet and I found this scientific study and it listed the following in regards to Essence of Chicken and the Immune system: Implications to consumers: Active and strong immune cells are equivalent to powerful "soldiers" that destroy or ward off invading foreign agents that cause us to fall sick. Essence of chicken effectively activates neutrophils and these immune cells play a vital role in destroying foreign agents at the site of infection. Regular intake of essence of chicken helps to strengthen our immune system to keep us in optimum health condition. This is especially true in today's hectic lifestyle where stress and environment can weaken our immune system. In addition, the potential modulatory effect of essence of chicken indicates that essence of chicken may help to reduce the side effects of intense immune response (eg. local tissue inflammation due to superoxide radicals) while gearing up the immune system at the same time.

They also listed these results in regards to Essence of Chicken and Metabolism: Implications to consumers: Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) is the minimum number of calories you need just to carry out your body's physiological processes. It reflects the energy used by brain, muscles and other metabolically actives tissues (liver, etc). In other words, RMR is the number of calories your body burns when you are at rest such as sitting or lying down. Monitoring your metabolism over time will help you to balance the calories you burn with the calories you eat. This study provides good scientific evidence that essence of chicken increases resting metabolic rate, confirming the findings of Dr C. Geissler of University of London. Therefore, essence of chicken serves as an important key ingredient to help you burn fat by increasing calories expenditure, bringing about better fitness and good health.

Now I take everything I read (online, in the newspaper, etc) with a grain of salt. I mean who are these people doing this research? Their website doesn't really say much about exactly what the company (Cerebos) does. Their Vision states: To be the leading food and health supplements enterprise in the Asia Pacific region by creating value for our employees, our customers and our shareholders. So I don't know if they really have an unbiased view when it comes to the results of the tests.

Switching from yahoo to google for searching I found one site, Grocery Ninja, who explains the whole process of how a chicken becomes something more than chicken broth, but the wonderful, fix-it-all in a jar, Essence of chicken.

Maybe I should give it a try...What's that saying, "Give us a week and we'll take off the weight"? Maybe I'll give it a week and see if it helps with my new work out and eating regime.

12 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Nah, kid, stick with the soup.

On Monday I am stealing your idea of a balloon diet, with bells on. Thanks.

TexasGal said...

HA! HA! Maybe I should give that a try as well. Let me know how it goes. :)

Laurie said...

I'm going boil some chicken and become a millionaire!

TBM said...

Wow! Between Essence of Chicken and Marmite, I think I'm set ;-)

stephanie said...

Hello! I am a Singaporean who happene d to pop by your blog when searching Aggies in Singapore! :) I personally do not like the bitter taste of Chicken Essence but I have friends who like it and drink it every day during the examination period. They say that it gives them energy and allow them to be more focussed! you can give it a try! :)

Anonymous said...

Found your interesting blog while googling Brand's. Thought I would let you know, I'm halfway through consuming a friend's gifts of "Essence" & "birds nest"; got over the initial squirm; no adverse reaction and slept quite well after that.

Enjoyed reading your writing.
And the funny situations and jokes too.
Kim

Anonymous said...

Essence of Chicken, I just had one 5 minutes ago, a present from a Singaporean family which had been resting until tonight. Wasn't good, wasn't bad, I can make better myself, I had the New Moon Brand.
Being from the UK married to a Chinese, makes life very interesting indeed.

After 9 years of study in Chinese cultures, I have to admit, they have a system in place in the traditional medicine that works, and western commercialsim, just steal the opportunities.
I prefer the Chicken essence hot!

You haven't tasted the Taiwanese drinkingvinegars! Wow, now that will blow your mind, no vinegar taste, and mix with a soda and a slice of lemon, you have the best cholesterol buster, and sugars biggest fear, in your hand.

Nice post by the way, I enjoyed it from drinkingvinegar,com Singapore.

Megan Cox said...

I think that is the thing with us Americans, we make fun of the things we don't understand. I was given essence of chicken from an ex boyfriend of mine while I was studying for my exams in med school, needless to say he was from Singapore. Well, it worked. I could stay up all night studying and I slept well without having those hangovers you get from those caffeine drink. Apparently it is very nourishing and nutritious. Maybe if you tried it instead of talking about it you might have written kinder of the product!

Mching said...

hi, i've taken chicken essence all my life and really it works. Try it. I take Brand's. In Singapore, it's so famous that it's advertised most during examination periods (mid year and end year). I'm Singaporean Chinese who believes that TCM is an up and coming methodology.

evision said...

WORK AND STUDY

Anonymous said...

I contacted Brand's to get the nutrition information since it does not have a label.
They refused to give out the information. I ask a nutrition expert she told me "Essences of Chicken" could be made of toes and eyes as far as she knows since the ingredients are a secret"
I stick with the real thing

anime said...

It does taste weird but its helps.