Home Page

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

How Disgusting!

I don't think I've shared this little chunk of information with you out there in blog world. This story was told to me by my husband, it is all 100% true, you are not going to believe it! You will wish that I was lying.

My husband works in the shipyard next to us, I'm at Keppel-Fels and he is at Jurong. Most of these shipyards have what they call cantinas. No, not the wonderful cantinas that serve margaritas with chips and salsa. These cantinas are what we back home would call a lunch room. It's a cheap, convenient place for the people in the office or even the yard to grab some lunch. Now, as you can imagine, shipyards are not the cleanest places on the island, but what I am about to tell you is ... well disgusting.

My husbands employer is in the offices next to the cantina. They are separated by a door and and small machinery space for the air conditioning. One afternoon there was a noise or something coming from the cantina so my husband was going to open the door to see what was on the other side. When he opened the door the cleaning lady was in the cantina cleaning up after lunch. She was mopping - both the FLOORS and the TABLES!! with the same mop! I almost died when he told me this. She had her cell phone between her chin and her sholder talking to someone, just mopping away! Let me tell you, I am not germophobic. But that made me want to go buy a small bottle of hand sanitizer (which you don't see everywhere here like you do at the checkout counters back home) to keep with me at all times.

Now, whenever we go eat somewhere I wonder if that is how the table has been "cleaned" off. I don't want to touch anything!

3 comments:

Lenox said...

I believe the word should be canteen.

Anonymous said...

I've seen some cleaners do that with lifts (elevators) in HDB flats too!

TexasGal said...

Tracker - good call! My mistake...just the Texan coming out in me.