Home Page

Monday, February 12, 2007

Crawfish Time!

Well thoughts of making a trip home and making plans on how to spend our time while we were there eventually reminded me that it should be crawfish season while we are home. I sure hope someone is having a crawfish boil while I am home. We may be too early for all of the pre-OTC parties. I'm wondering what kind of crawfish season it will be. Has it been warm enough? Has there been enough rain? Now they have what they call crayfish here. They don't look anything like a crawfish to me:

This is the only photo I could find. Can someone please tell me what these things are? I've searched the internet and anything that is called a crawfish looks more like the mudbugs we boil up nice and spicey and eat until we are miserable. They have claws....I can't see claws on these that they have here. I have eaten these things pictured here. There is a restaurant (hawker center) near the shipyard that searved them as "Black Pepper Crayfish". . . and they are good but I just think they look prehistoric. I like to know what I'm eating. I think I'll have to bring back some "Swamp Fire" or "Swamp Dust" back with me so we can see how these things taste cajun style. Well "Laissez le bon temps rouler!" and let me know if you know of any crawfish boils coming up between March 26th and April 8th so I can mark my calender!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you shown is known commonly as slipper lobster (Thenus orientalis) while the ones that you found on the internet are spiny lobsters from the superfamilies of Astacoidea and Parastacoidea.

Am having quite a difficult time finding the well known crawfish boil in singapore actually, would you know of any?

Anonymous said...

Try Crab in Da Bag in East Coast. Yum!

Anonymous said...

You may check out this link, the crawfish supper in singapore.
http://classifieds.singaporeexpats.com/showproduct.php/product/251299